How to Sort a Pivot Table – Users can use pivot tables to get a clear overview of a lot of data. Even so, Pivot Table data isn’t always easy to understand unless it is sorted. Sorting a pivot table doesn’t take long and lets you look at the data in a clear way.
- Open the Excel file that has the pivot table on it. To open Excel, double-click its icon on your desktop. If there is no icon on your desktop, click “Start,” move the mouse over “Programs,” move the mouse over “Microsoft Office,” and click “Microsoft Excel.”
- By clicking in the field area, you can choose the field you want to sort by. Make sure you don’t mark the whole column or row. For example, to sort the data fields, click or move your mouse into the Pivot Table’s data area.
- Click the “A to Z” or “Z to A” button on the toolbar to sort the list. The “A to Z” button sorts in an ascending order. The “Z to A” button sorts in a descending order.
- Sort each area by putting the mouse in the area you want to sort and going back to Step 3. Only if you want to sort by more than one field do you need to do this step.
- Click the “Save” button to save the sorted Pivot Table on the Excel spreadsheet.
Related people Ask about Pivot Table
Why can’t I sort my pivot table?
Get the pivot table up to date. If an item from a custom list is in a field that is set to “Automatic sort,” the field should change to the sort order of the custom list. If the field is set to be sorted by hand, it won’t be sorted by the custom list order.
Can you custom sort a pivot table?
By default, an alphabetical order is used in a pivot table. We can use a custom sort if we need to put things in order of importance that has nothing to do with alphabetical order. The first two things are the most important shelves in our collection, and we want them to be in the first two columns.
How do I sort a column in a pivot table?
To move an item in the PivotTable, right-click the row or column label or the item in a label, point to Move, and then choose a command from the Move menu. Choose the row or column label you want to move, and then point to the cell’s bottom edge.
How do I sort data in a pivot table with multiple columns?
So as to:
- Click PivotTable on the power pivot window. Check the box next to New worksheet and click OK.
- Go back to the window for the power pivot. Choose the names in cells 1–11 and go to Home > Sort by Column.
- Set “Rank” as the column to sort by and “Items” as the column to sort by.
- Click Ok.
How do I manually change the sort order in a pivot table?
- Sorting Data Manually
- In Row Labels, click the arrow.
- Choose Region from the drop-down list in the Select Field box.
- Click More Options for Sorting. The Sort (Region) box pops up.
- Select Manual (you can drag items to rearrange them).
- Select OK.
Can you do two sorts in a pivot table?
You can add multiple levels of sorting by going to Data > Sort. For example, you could say, “I want to sort by revenue, then total quantity, then alphabetical Product order, etc.” Even if you only have one Row column, like “Product,” you can’t sort by more than one column in the “Values” column in a pivot table.