The Mac’s Finder shows a list of Favorites, which are frequently used files, folders, and drives that can act as clickable shortcuts. You can easily add your own files to Favorites by performing a quick drag-and-drop action in addition to the Finder’s default Favorites, which also include the Desktop and Document folders. The Favorites are displayed in the sidebar of the Finder.
How to Make Favorites With a Mac
- Start Finder first. Click the Finder’s icon in the Dock to start it.
- Locate the File, Folder or Drive. Navigate through directories to find the file you wish to add to Favorites.
- Choose a file, folder, or drive. You can add a file to your favorites by clicking and holding on it. To the Favorites section of the sidebar, drag the file over. Take note of the oval that surrounds Favorites.
- Release the mouse button. Pull back on the mouse button. Your file is visible in the list of favorites.
How to Remove Favorites With a Mac
- Step 1: Start Finder first. Click the Finder’s icon in the Dock to start it.
- Step 2: Choose the item to delete from the list of favorites by selecting it with the right-click menu. A brief pull-down menu is displayed.
- Step 3: Take an item out of your favorites.
- Step 4: Select “Remove from Sidebar” from the options. The original file is still on your hard disk, but the entry is removed from Favorites.