Netflix is now one of the most popular ways to stream TV shows and movies. Closed captioning may be needed to fully enjoy your viewing experience if you are deaf, hard of hearing, don’t speak English as your first language, or just like it. No matter what device you use to watch Netflix, it’s pretty easy to turn on closed captioning subtitles.
The Netflix app for iOS or Android has a built-in feature that makes it easy to turn on closed captioning.
Tap anywhere on the screen during playback to get to the toolbar, and then tap the dialog icon.
Tap to choose the option you want, and then tap OK.
Web Browser (PC)
Using Netflix through your Web browser? Closed captioning is just as easy to turn on.
During playback, hover your mouse pointer over the dialogue icon in the toolbar and click to choose the subtitle option you want.
(PlayStation 4 and Xbox One)
On your favorite game system, it’s easy to turn on closed captioning. This is a feature of the latest versions of the Netflix app from both Sony and Microsoft.
- Press down on your controller when you want to play something.
- Select Audio & Subtitles and press X on PS4 or A on Xbox One.
- Use the arrow buttons to choose the subtitle option you want, then press X on PS4 or A on Xbox One to confirm.
There are Blu-ray players, Smart TVs, and Set-Top Boxes.
Closed captioning can also be used on your smart TV, Blu-ray player that is connected to the Internet, or set-top box. Some of these devices are the Samsung smart TV, the Roku, the Apple TV, and the Google TV. Even though devices have different interfaces, these steps should help you turn on subtitles on most of them.
Before the start
- Open the app for Netflix on your device.
- Choose the movie or TV show you want to watch.
- Go to the menu of options and choose Audio & Subtitles.
- Choose the subtitle you want by highlighting it and clicking on it.
- Get back to the main screen for the movie or TV show you chose.
- Hit “Play.”
- Press the down arrow on your remote while the music is playing.
- Choose Audio and Subtitles from the list of choices.
- Choose the subtitle option you want.