A firewall is a security tool that keeps computers from getting into a network. Without a firewall, your computer could get infected with Trojans, malware, spyware, and other viruses. But sometimes it’s helpful to change the settings of the firewall to let certain programs run without being blocked. This is important for anyone who wants to know how to access Windows Firewall and change its settings.
Customize settings firewall
- Select “Control Panel” from the “Start” menu. Click on the icon for the Windows Firewall. It looks like a wall made of bricks.
- Under the “General” tab, you can choose “On,” “Block all incoming connections,” or “Off.” It’s best to leave it on, and it’s not a good idea to turn it off.
- Click the “Exceptions” tab to tell the firewall which programs it shouldn’t protect. Click the empty box to mark the programs you want to add to the list of exceptions. It is best to check browsers and programs for sharing files.
- Click the “Advanced” tab to tell the firewall which network connections to protect. It is best to check all connections because if you don’t, your computer could be open to viruses.
- Under the “Advanced” tab, click the “Restore Defaults” button. This could stop some programs from running, so you shouldn’t do it if you haven’t worked with firewall settings before.
You can turn on or off the Microsoft Defender Firewall. Even if you already have another firewall on, you should still turn on Microsoft Defender Firewall. It keeps people from getting in without your permission.
Turn windows firewall on or off
- Start > Settings > Update & Security > Windows Security > Firewall & network protection. Open the Security settings in Windows.
- Choose a profile for your network.
- Change the setting for Microsoft Defender Firewall to “On.” If your device is connected to a network, network policy settings might stop you from doing these steps. To find out more, talk to your administrator.
- Change the setting to Off to turn it off. If you turn off Windows Defender Firewall, it could make it easier for someone to get into your device or network, if you have one. You don’t have to turn off the firewall if you need to use an app that is being blocked. Instead, you can let it through the firewall.
Turn on Windows Defender Firewall with Advanced Security and Configure Default Behavior
Use the Windows Defender Firewall with Advanced Security node in the Group Policy Management console to turn on Windows Defender Firewall with Advanced Security and change how it works by default.
To do these things, you need to be a member of the Domain Administrators group or have been given permission to change the GPOs in another way.
- To turn on Windows Defender Firewall and change how it works by default Open the Group Policy Management Console and go to Windows Defender Firewall with Advanced Security.
- Click Windows Defender Firewall Properties in the Overview section of the details pane.
- Follow these steps for each type of network location (Domain, Private, and Public).
- Click on the tab that matches the type of network location.
- Set the firewall to “on” (recommended).
- Block all incoming connections (default).
- Change outgoing connections to Allow (default).
How to reset Windows Firewall to default Setting?
- Click Start.
- Click Settings > Update & Security > Windows Security > Firewall & network protection.
- Click the link that says “Reset firewalls to default.”
- Click Yes on the pop-up window to confirm that you want to do the action.